The blend of business acumen and engineering is what makes you perfect choice for corporate
Engineering being an academic qualification is incomplete without the business knowledge and understanding the operations of the Corporates. The current context of Engineering is that the Engineers are expected to introduce products, components, services, and systems that improve the quality of life for people.
With their strengths of problem solving, which are very preliminary in case of fresh Engineering Graduates the willingness to fill the gaps of expectations vs. reality, makes it possible for the functional application of Engineering Knowledge in the industry.
The practical application of Engineering knowledge is what the industries need for continuous growth of business and improved operating. Young Engineers can take up small projects for trial and error of the technical concepts they learnt, not everything can be tried before actual job nor can be expected from the companies in form of trainings.
Skills if possessed can make you sparkle in eyes of recruiting teams of these Corporates
The soft skills and other skills that help in working with the Corporates are knowledge and basic level application of communicational skills, ability to work as team, analyzing requirements, risks and opportunities, understanding of customers and market, people management and relationship building, negotiation skills, project management skills, cost reduction techniques time management, conflict resolution, stress management, leadership qualities, managerial skills, team management and many more…
What Corporates look for, besides academic knowledge?
- The understanding of accounting, finance, sales and marketing can help you to know what support departments contribute to the development of business and appreciate their efforts.
- Technical proficiency helps Engineers to perform tasks using knowledge they have acquired but to apply this know how in business world, the application of same at different levels and in different areas requires skills.
- For exceptional performance one needs to be attuned with the customer’s, stakeholders and management’s perspective and business needs.
- On job trainings are becoming too expensive for the businesses and the cut throat competition is reducing their capacity to spoon feed and hand hold the new recruits making ready to work candidate as the first preference of corporates.
- Areas that these skills open up for you are Business Development by creating understanding of
- Costs of processes currently prevailing in the organization.
- Costs of recruitment, training and retention of employees (including yourself)/workers.
Some colleges have introduced the subject Business Acumen and Engineering in their curriculum. The real business world is very different than the college world thus students need to market themselves.
How can students develop this?
The corporate world is willing to welcome the newer ideas and inventions form the Engineers thus the students need to focus on current society and industry requirements and take new methods of knowledge as well as skill acquisition. Eg. Joining Online courses for skill development, Taking part time jobs for technical and non-technical exposure etc.
What makes a well-rounded Engineer?
The ideal Engineer of today, who carries good academic/theoretical knowledge, technical know and business acumen to apply it in industry, knowledge of corporates and its underlying functions and soft skills to play team roles. Along with all this you need to create discipline to achieve the targets and managing your performance, which is extremely important for shaping of your career and equally crucial for corporates.
You are not expected to master these skills before you enter the corporate world but awareness and possession of some will get you rolling.